Bryan County provides curbside trash and recycling pickup to all county households. This service is contracted through Atlantic Waste Services.
Household garbage is picked up each Tuesday in Buckhead.
For questions about pickup schedules, delays, missed pickups, or any other inquiries about garbage pickup, please contact Altantic Waste Services at (912)-964-2000 or visit their website
. Atlantic Waste Services office hours are: Monday - Friday 7am - 5pm and Saturday 8am - 12pm.
Buckhead HOA has no contact or relationship with Atlantic Waste Services and can not help with complaints or inquiries. Complaints about service should be directed to Bryan County at (912)653-4511.
There is no curbside yard debris or bulk item pickup within Buckhead. All materials must be contained within a polycart for pickup.
Items which are too large to fit in your polycart can be disposed of at the Bryan County Landfill on Fort McAllister Road. The county charges per pound for disposal at this location, bring cash!
The hours of operation for the landfill are:
- Tuesday & Wednesday from 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.
- Thursday through Saturday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- You can recycle paper, plastic, aluminum, and small pieces of cardboard. All containers, bottles, cans, etc. should be clean before you place them in your recycling cart.
- Don't recycle materials that aren't completely clean. Soiled, greasy or dirty materials can contaminate a whole load of recyclables, forcing them to be dumped into the landfill and wasting the time that your neighbors have spent sorting and cleaning their recyclables.'
- Never use your recycling polycart for “overflow” household garbage. This too can ruin an entire load of recyclables. We know that Altantic Waste Services is sometimes unreliable with pickups but this is not an acceptable solution when you run out of space in your household trash polycart.
- If an item is smaller than a credit card, don't recycle it. Small materials can get caught in the machinery which sorts and processes recyclables.
- Generally speaking, leave caps on plastic bottles and jugs. Make sure they have been rinsed completely clean and are empty. Some bottles have a white foam or paper layer inside the cap, it's probably best to remove these and dispose of them separately.
- Never recycle plastic bags in the polycart and don't bag other recyclables! Most plastic bags have a recycling symbol along with the text “Store Drop-off”. These can be dropped off at Publix for recycling. There is a collection bin to the right hand side of the entrance.
- Take care not to break glass when you put it into the polycart.
- Don't recycle mixed media. For example, envelopes which have a clear plastic address window are not recyclable unless you remove the plastic window and dispose of it separately.
- Plastic air bags from Amazon and other online retailers are not recyclable in the polycart, however most of these can be bundled with plastic bags and dropped off at Publix as well. Look for the recycling symbol and be sure to puncture each cell to remove the air before dropping off.
- Some metal cans have an insulated coating that might not be recyclable. When in doubt, throw it out!
To do your part and learn more about our curbside recycling program, we strongly urge you to take a look at Altantic Waste Service's Frequently Asked Questions on their website at https://atlanticwaste.com/faq/